Shanks have become one of my favorite cuts of the lamb. I have playing with genetics to try and grow 3 more sets of shanks per lamb! Shanks require slower longer cook times. Do not grill shanks. Crock pot and instant pot are both great options and my personal favorites. All meat is to be picked up in Livingston TN, no shipping available at this time.
Where's That Come From
The Lamb Shank is the lamb’s forearm. They enjoy exercising their muscles by running in the pasture, and this activity produces great flavor and makes them suitable for low and slow cooking.
You can’t go wrong with the Instant Pot Lamb Shank recipe below!
Additional recipes will be added HERE as we find one we like!
For Additional Recipes, visit the American Lamb Board
Instant Pot Lamb Shank
Trying to share our favorite recipe for each piece of lamb and this has made lamb shanks one of the best parts of the lamb for us. Trying to figure out how to create a breed of sheep with more legs is now my goal! Lots of flavor and the quick and easy use of Instant Pot.
Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 each Lamb shanks
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 5 each Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- ¾ cup Dry Red Wine
- 1 can 28 Ounce Crush Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- ¾ tsp Dried Oregano
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté and adjust to “More” and add oil.
- Pat lamb shanks dry and season with salt and pepper. Once the Instant Pot is hot, add lamb and cook until browned all over, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from pot and place on a plate. (You’ll likely need to do 2 at a time, adding more oil in between if needed, so you don’t crowd the pot).
- Add garlic to pan and sauté, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add wine and cook 2 minutes, being sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen browned bits. Stir in tomatoes, basil and oregano; cook 2 minutes.
- Return lamb to pot, place the lid on and seal. Little sauce on top. Cook high pressure for 45 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 min before manually releasing the remaining pressure.
- Serve lamb over polenta or mashed potatoes, sprinkling fresh parsley over top if desired.
- If desired, you can remove the lamb shanks from the Instant Pot after cooking, and use the Sauté function to reduce the sauce for a few minutes to get a thicker sauce. Be sure to stir so the sauce doesn’t burn!
There are no reviews yet.