A hearty Lamb Ragout with veggies, barley and lentils
Yield: 8 people
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 ea bay leaves (dry )
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 lb lamb (leg or shoulder cut into 1" pieces)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 ea sweet onions (small )
- 3 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 4 ea large carrots (rinsed peeled and chopped)
- 1 bunch asparagus (trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Tie together oregano, thyme and rosemary sprigs with kitchen string.
- Heat oil in a 5-quart heavy stock pot over medium heat. Season lamb with salt and pepper and add to hot oil. Stir occasionally until evenly browned; approximately 15 minutes. Transfer pieces of meat to a plate.
- Add onion slices to oil. Season with salt and pepper and stir until onions start to brown; approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add vinegar and cook until mixture is syrupy; approximately 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine and bring to a boil. Continue cooking for 5 minutes. Mixture will reduce. Add broth, lamb, herb bundle and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low; let simmer and partially cover; approximately 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Add barley and lentils. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove herbs and add carrots. Continue cooking for 30 minutes. Add asparagus; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in spinach. Adjust salt and pepper and serve with bread or crostini.
Original recipe called for farro but that isn't something available in my small town so we opted to swap for barley and it turned out great. I supposed you could use chickpeas as well, we might try that once as a variation.
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 471mg | Potassium: 540mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 892IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 4mg