Ah yes, the lamb wellington. I have to admit, I have a weakness for this. I think about it all the time. I can’t get enough of it. Anyone who has the privilege of trying can’t quit talking about it. I think you will as well. A wellington refers to a tender cut of meat coated in a duxelles (mixture of herbs and mushrooms) and wrapped in a pastry. Leg of lamb or a whole loin/backstrap are a wellington match made in heaven. This recipe came from recipes.co.nx and I know you are supposed to change recipes up and make them your own, but this was perfect! If you have guests to impress, look no further. This will knock their socks off. As good as it gets!Print Pin
Servings: 5 people
- 2 lbs West Fork Farms Leg of Lamb cut into 2-3" strips to resemble short length of tenderloin
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 6 oz Mushrooms minced
- 1 each Onion minced
- 1 tbsp Rosemary chopped
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
- 1 each Egg slightly beaten
- pinch Salt
- pinch Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat meat dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and sear all over, until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and clean skillet. DO NOT OVERCOOK
- Melt butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots and sauté until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in rosemary and remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll each sheet into a large square, about 1/8″-thick. Cut each into 16 squares.
- Place one piece of meat onto each square and dollop with about a teaspoon of mustard. Top the meat with about a tablespoon of the mushroom mixture. Fold pastry edges over the meat and pinch to seal.
- Place on baking sheets and brush with egg wash. Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden-brown.
Calories: 739kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 26g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 476mg | Potassium: 523mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 23IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 5mg